How Do We Apply For Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds On

KA-34789 Helpfulness Rating 184 page views

This AskRegs Knowledgebase Q&A was updated on January 19, 2021 to reflect requirements under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (CRRSAA) under Section 314 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021. Unless specifically indicated below, the CRRSAA rules apply to both leftover Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) grants under the CARES Act (HEERF I funds) after December 27, 2020 and to new funds under the CRRSAA (HEERF II funds).

Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF, or HEERF I) grants under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), and HEERF II grants under CRRSAA are not Title IV federal student aid funds. They are administered through

When first applying for HEERF funds of any kind, go to the U.S. Department of Education's (ED's) CARES Act: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund website for instructions on how to submit the Application for Federal Assistance (SF-424) and upload the Recipient’s Funding Certification for grants to students and for grants to institutions separately. This website provides:

Remember the following for HEERF I grants:

Remember the following for HEERF II grants:

Institutions that previously received student or institutional HEERF I funds under the CARES Act do not need to submit a new application to receive HEERF II funds; they will receive a supplemental HEERF II grant award automatically. That notification will be sent to the individual the institution has designated to receive it. Institutions that did not previously receive student or institutional HEERF I funds, including proprietary institutions, must submit an application for HEERF II funds no later than April 15, 2021. Institutions can no longer apply for HEERF I funds.

An institution's allocation of HEERF II funds may be found in its respective Allocation Table.

For all HEERF grants under both CARES and CRRSAA:

All questions related to completing the Recipient’s Funding Certification and Agreement go to:


All questions related to completing the Application for Federal Assistance (SF-424) go to: Customer Support
1-800-518-4726 Self-Service Knowledge Base web portal at:


AskRegs Q&As represent NASFAA's understanding of regulatory and compliance issues. They are FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY. While NASFAA believes AskRegs Q&As are accurate and factual, they have not been reviewed or approved by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). If you should need written confirmation of AskRegs information for audit or program review purposes, please contact your ED School Participation Division. NASFAA shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein; nor for incidental or consequential damages resulting from the furnishing, performance, or use of this material.