Can a Student Who Has Graduated Or Withdrawn Retroactively Receive HEERF I and HEERF II Student Grant Funds?

KA-34807 Helpfulness Rating 1,909 page views

This AskRegs Knowledgebase Q&A was updated on March 1, 2021 to include guidance NASFAA has received from the U.S. Department of Education (ED) about spending Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF I) student grants under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) as well as HEERF II student grants under the 2021 Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA, Section 314 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021).

Yes. Per ED, schools may choose to retroactively award HEERF I and HEERF II grants to students who have left school for any reason during the period of the COVID-19 national emergency beginning on March 13, 2020. This includes students who have graduated or withdrawn and for whom the school wants to make a retroactive HEERF award under its awarding policies.



AskRegs Q&As represent NASFAA's understanding of regulatory and compliance issues. They are FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY. While NASFAA believes AskRegs Q&As are accurate and factual, they have not been reviewed or approved by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). If you should need written confirmation of AskRegs information for audit or program review purposes, please contact your ED School Participation Division. NASFAA shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein; nor for incidental or consequential damages resulting from the furnishing, performance, or use of this material.