Can a Student Receive Emergency FSEOG If She Is No Longer Enrolled For the Award Year?

KA-34825 Helpfulness Rating 585 page views

This AskRegs Knowledgebase Q&A was updated on August 24, 2020 to reflect extended deadlines in the August 21, 2020 Electronic Announcement.

No. See AskRegs Knowledgebase Q&A, How Can Schools Use Campus-Based Funds As Emergency Aid? If you don't see an exception listed there, an exception does not exist at this time, and all other Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) rules continue to apply. Cash management rules in 34 CFR 668.164(j) still apply. For example, in order to be able to make a late disbursement of Emergency FSEOG/FSEOG, the student must receive the award before the student is no longer enrolled for the award year.

Does that mean you can award Emergency FSEOG after the end of the award year if the student already had a regular FSEOG award during the award year? We don't know that yet. As soon as we have a definitive answer to this question, we will update this AskRegs Q&A and post it in Today's News.

Reference the May 15, 2020 Electronic Announcement for guidance related to Emergency FSEOG, which has been extended by the August 21, 2020 Electronic Announcement to apply through the end of the payment period that includes December 31, 2020 or the end of the payment period that includes the end date for the federally declared qualifying emergency related to COVID-19, whichever occurs later.


AskRegs Q&As represent NASFAA's understanding of regulatory and compliance issues. They are FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY. While NASFAA believes AskRegs Q&As are accurate and factual, they have not been reviewed or approved by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). If you should need written confirmation of AskRegs information for audit or program review purposes, please contact your ED School Participation Division. NASFAA shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein; nor for incidental or consequential damages resulting from the furnishing, performance, or use of this material.