Can We Disburse Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds To a Deceased Student’s Estate?

KA-34919 Helpfulness Rating 150 page views

No. Although it is possible for a student to have qualified for Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) grants established under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, according to guidance NASFAA received from the U.S. Department of Education (ED), the student must not be deceased at the time the funds are disbursed. Therefore, the HEERF student grant must be returned to the HEERF fund or awarded to another eligible student.

AskRegs Q&As represent NASFAA's understanding of regulatory and compliance issues. They are FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY. While NASFAA believes AskRegs Q&As are accurate and factual, they have not been reviewed or approved by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). If you should need written confirmation of AskRegs information for audit or program review purposes, please contact your ED School Participation Division. NASFAA shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein; nor for incidental or consequential damages resulting from the furnishing, performance, or use of this material.