Which Poverty Guideline Do We Use For Contributors From Foreign Countries Or the U.S. Territories?

Award Year: 2024-25 KA-36586 Helpfulness Rating 86 page views

This guidance is specific to the 2024-25 award year and later.

According to U.S. Department of Education's (ED's) FAFSA Simplification Questions and Answers, PEL-Q7/A7, when calculating minimum and maximum Federal Pell Grant eligibility, you use the Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia. This applies for the student or parent whose address is outside the U.S. (including the U.S. territories) or whose state of legal residence is unknown (not reported).

AskRegs Q&As represent NASFAA's understanding of regulatory and compliance issues. They are FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY. While NASFAA believes AskRegs Q&As are accurate and factual, they have not been reviewed or approved by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). If you should need written confirmation of AskRegs information for audit or program review purposes, please contact your ED School Participation Division. NASFAA shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein; nor for incidental or consequential damages resulting from the furnishing, performance, or use of this material.